The deadline to apply to serve as a Local Political Coordinator is Tuesday, May 19th at 11:59pm.
Local Political Coordinators are Huntsville Area Association of REALTORS® members who serve as watchdogs in their municipality on emerging issues impacting real estate, homeowners, and private property rights. Those experienced in civic life and novices alike are both welcome, with training and support offered.
PLEASE NOTE: To be considered as a Local Political Coordinator, you must first fill out the HAAR Engagement Profile.
Civic engagement helps you to build relationships and arm yourself with valuable knowledge that you can share with your colleagues and clients. Serving as an LPC is an enjoyable and exciting experience that connects you with your community and bolsters your credibility as a REALTOR®. The more we know about our community and its diverse segments, the stronger our community becomes.
Will this be a large time commitment?
Not at all! Providing content, training, talking points and additional support material will remain responsibilities of HAAR staff. Aside from 1-2 meetings per year and regular monthly check-ins with staff via email or phone, the amount of time you commit to being an LPC will depend on your own judgement as to what makes you effective in this position.
How do I get started and what are potential duties?
- Become familiar with your community and stay informed of municipal news. Connect with social media and in-person groups relevant to your community. Ex: community group meetings, Facebook pages, email newsletters, google alerts, etc.
- Build relationships within municipal government and network at community events.
- When an issue arises, alert the staff liaison using our Issue Assessment Worksheet to get issues specifics, assess the impact, and determine its viability.
- When asked by association leadership or staff liaison, take action, such as speaking to elected officials or providing public comment. (Your liaison will provide you with talking points and training.)
How does it work?
- Once you become an LPC, you’ll receive training and helpful worksheets to make integrating the program into your busy schedule as easy as possible.
- You’ll be asked to take certain information-gathering steps, as outlined above.
- HAAR will provide you with everything you need to be successful.
Contact Director of Association Outreach Sean Magers at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. To apply to serve as an LPC, please click below. The deadline to apply to serve as a Local Political Coordinator is Tuesday, May 19th at 11:59pm.